Sunday, October 12, 2008

Moose Rut



Every year about now the moose gather together and go through the mating rituals that we call The Moose Rut. The large bulls will gather up all nearby cows and chase off the younger smaller bulls, or perhaps allow them to hang around as long as they stay away from the favored females. Up by Glenn Alps is a great area for watching the antics of the bulls, who will often let humans get fairly close to them. Here is some of my favorite moose photos from this season.



This bull was photographed in late Sept. Here I am behind a tree and he is walking straight towards me. I was eventually forced to retreat.



This bull I saw today, surrounded by about nine females laying scattered throughout the bushes in the near vicinity. There was a couple smaller bulls near by as well. With his 50 inch rack he is the dominant male.



Here he is from a different angle.

No comments: