Thursday, October 30, 2008

Carcasses



I couldn't sleep last night. It was about 1:00 AM when Tim began stirring around in his sleep. Then he started talking.

"I forgot to tell you...earlier...outside there were carcasses all around" he told me.
"Carcasses?" I asked "where, around the house?"
"Yes, around the house"
"What kind of carcasses, human carcasses?" I asked him in a quiet voice so as not to actually wake him up.
He ignored me. I tried again.
"Squirrel carcasses?"
He answered in his most snotty voice-the one he reserves for really, really, stupid questions.
"Noooo... NOT squirrel carcasses. Bigger!"
"Moose carcasses?"
"No!" he snapped irritably.
"Bear carcasses?"
"Maybe...I don't know...I've never seen one" he answered, sounding exasperated.
Then he rolled over and sunk back into non-dream land, ignoring my continued attempts to entice him into conversation.

The next day we laughed about it as Tim tried to figure out where the night conversation came from. "Carcasses" he said "I don't even use that term!"

We finally figured out that it was probably brought on by a recent conversation we had about getting on Alaska's road kill list to fill our freezer with an unlucky moose. It will be a year before Tim can hunt legally as a resident.

No comments: