Friday, September 12, 2008

Whales



Three Beluga Whales

Even though I grew up here, Alaska still continues to amaze me. Tim and I had decided to drive out to Portage Glacier on a beautiful Saturday a couple weeks ago. Driving by Turnagain Arm, we noticed some movement in the water; Beluga Whales! We stopped to watch them as they moved down the arm, feeding, playing, and blowing water through their spouts. Sometimes we saw seven or eight at once-altogether I think there were 100's out there. We spent two hours following them up the arm and then back down. A week later, I went out before high tide to see them again. On this day, there was a strong wind blowing the water back out of the arm. There were only a few whales this day, working hard to swim just a little way before turning around to swim out. They were not playing, just raising out of the water slightly as they swam a straight, difficult line.



Beluga Whales in Turnagain Arm







Sunset as we headed home

No comments: