Friday, September 19, 2008

Berry Season



Did I say that there was only two seasons in Alaska?
Well, actually there is three; Winter Season, Getting ready for Winter Season, and finally the short but beautiful Berry Season (commonly called fall by Outsiders).
For the last few weeks my life has consisted of picking and processing nearly 50 lbs of Alaskan wild berries.
We have Crowberry pie, Crowberry jelly, frozen Crowberries, and Crowberry syrup.
Blueberry Jam, Blueberry desert sauce, and frozen Blueberries.
Raspberry freezer jam.
Current Jelly.
And best of all, Current Liqueur.
As I have been picking berries in the autumn hued mountains, winter is moving in. With every clearing of the cloud cover, the snow has moved farther down the mountains. Soon we will wake up to frost. After first frost is when the low bush cranberries come into their own, and then I will go into another frenzy of berry picking. In the meantime, I hope to find time to get out and get some high bush cranberries before it's too late.

Fall colors in Arctic valley where I pick Crowberries and Blueberries.



From bush...



To bucket...



To Jar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to have your recipe for the crowberry syrup, pie and jelly!
Heather