Friday, June 6, 2008

The Long Drive

After flying from Ecuador to AZ, we are about half way on our 4000 mile drive from Phoenix to Anchorage, AK. We are starting to get used to how things work in North America, but I still have problems with simple things, like remembering that I can eat the raw vegetables, brush my teeth in the sink, and throw my toilet paper in the toilet instead of the trash. And I have some difficulties with bigger things, like how to speak the English language after hearing it rarely for over one year, and occasionally even what side of the road to drive on.

One thing that has really surprised me about the States is how many box stores there are. It seems like an explosion of architecturally uninteresting boxes of all sizes has sprouted up everywhere. Yuk! I also really liked the crazy markets overseas and find it sad that shopping in the States is so sterile.

Overall, we are pretty happy to be home, though. Traveling for 15 months is an amazing experience, but is perhaps just a bit too long. We miss the simple conveniences of the States. And after sleeping in over 300 different beds, it's going to be really nice to have a place we can call our own for a while!

No comments: