Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Outside?

Some common nicknames for Alaska are "The Great Land", "The Last Frontier", "The Last Great Wilderness". I would say that Alaskans are Nationalistic, but this is not quite the right word. They are very independent and patriotic, but it is not necessarily the United states they are so patriotic about; it is Alaska itself. Traveling, I always knew another Alaskan, because, like me, when asked where they are from, they never say "the USA". No, they are from "Alaska". Even if they haven't lived there for twenty years.

To an Alaskan, Alaska is the center of the universe, and everything else is 'Outside'. I mean, who else in the world calls everywhere besides the place they live 'Outside'? As in "I'm going Outside to visit my parents" or "I have to go Outside for work". Outside being anywhere from India to New York, from London to LA. I never realized how funny this sounded until I used the term Outside in Colorado, to describe Colorado, to a Coloradan.

To most Alaskans, I have spent the last five years Outside. So I am fully expecting that when I return, even though I have spent the last 15 months, well five years really, enjoying one adventure after another, most 'good' Alaskans will say " Oh, you've spent the last five years Outside? I bet your glad to be back".

And I will be.

No comments: